Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Bad Day Bad Date

Did you really have a bad day, or did you have a bad ten minutes you milked for the whole afternoon. No Debra, I had a bad day. The day actually started yesterday with the disappearance of my wallet. I was on the northbound 44. Someone boosted it as I was getting off the bus. I know this because today it was recovered by CTA sans credit cards. Luckily I was aware of the stolen wallet almost immediately and cancelled everything ensuring the only thing they wasted was my time. Still, the day was a constant back-and-forth between home, work and downtown to get my banking situation and CTA card stuff figured out. I got to work an hour late but I'm finally situated.

I must have clocked 16 miles on my bike before I finally got home. I practiced my set in the mirror before heading off to a first date that wound up never happening. Out of the seven dates I've gone on since I've started the whole online thing, the woman has shown up three times. Three! This time she was courteous enough to send a message I didn't get an hour and a half before the date saying "Don't hate me but I'm feeling sick and can't make it." Guess it's my fault for not checking the profile I've been avoiding interacting with because I f**king hate online dating. I simply said, "no hate. Just indifference and disappointment. Good night."

Rude? Perhaps. What I really wanted to say is I don't like flakes. What I really wanted to say was while she was arguing to herself about whether the date was too out of range for a weekday, I waited at the restaurant for an hour rearranging the silverware. I wanted to tell her to get bent. I have better things to do than deal with someone with no character and a lack of backbone.

I'm done dating for a while I think. There's one more bullet in the chamber as it were when it comes to dates and I'll decide in the morning whether or not I'm just going to tell her to buzz off before I get hurt again. Why does it have to be like this? Why do we constantly thrust ourselves into the abyss hoping that someone will hear our call for company and good feeling? And like, I get it - women have to contend with the possibility of creeps, cretins and criminals on a much vaster level than men do but it really is an abyss over on this side of the gender equation. A big fat zero.

I don't want to do this anymore!! Not ever! At this point my attraction to women is at an all time low. I'd rather stick my tongue into a curling iron than go on another date even if there's a guarantee that she'll actually show up. There's nothing left for me in the world of dating. So I need to find something else to occupy my lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment