Monday, March 3, 2014

Thoughts From the Usher Podium: The Academy Awards Part Deux

Boy wasn't that exciting? This year’s Academy Award ceremony was broadcasted from the Dolby Theatre late on March 2, 2014 and had its fair share of ups and downs. Ellen DeGeneres was once again entertaining and charming as the host making light of winners, losers, seat warmers and Twitter. Some highlights included Lupita Nyong’o’s teary proclamations, Idina Menzel’s performance of Frozen’s “Let it Be” (which won best song) and 20 Feet From Stardom’s Darlene Love belting out “I Sing Because I’m Happy”.

Admittedly I only saw parts of the ceremony thanks in part to ABC live streaming only in selected markets. As a result we ended up watching it in a less than seemly manner. Yet the Oscar party I hosted went fairly well considering. Good food, friends and prizes for those with the killer Oscar ballot. One of my friends even brought a keg of his own brewed beer, named the Winning Streep (after Meryl Streep who once again went home empty handed). I wanted the hors d’ouerves to have equally clever nicknames but the only thing we could think of was Schindler’s Links for the cocktail weenies. Not exactly an inspired title.

I decided to make a follow up to my Academy Award article; specifically I wanted to claim responsibility for my false predictions…while of course celebrating the victories on my Oscar ballot. I first want to say I apologize if I steered anyone in the wrong directions when it came to your own Oscar ballot. Many critics, industry insiders and random people on the street don’t take credit for false claims. They don’t own their mistakes; well I do. What kind of person would I be if I didn't have integrity?
I'd be working for these guys
Best animated did indeed go to Mr. Hublot therefore my theory on winners being foreign language alliterations of classic French films is sound. If only I didn't follow my own logic for Best Live Action Short which didn't go to the only English language entry The Voorman Problem. No it ended up going to Danish import Helium. Also The Lady in Number 6 won against my pick Cavedigger for Documentary short, and reading the synopsis it feels like a no brainer now. The story of an ambitious artist/spelunker versus the oldest Holocaust survivor; Come on!


Gravity as expected won all the technical awards i.e. Best Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Best Cinematography and Visual Effects. The big surprise was Gravity also picking up Best Editing (with I thought 12 Years a Slave would win for). I also assumed Gravity would win for Best set design but that ended up going to The Great Gatsby who also won Costume Design over American Hustle. I guess I’ll have to sit down and watch The Great Gatsby after all.

As expected Frozen won Best Original Song; may tried to convince me it wasn't a lock but if you were under the impression Pharrell was going to win for Happy you’re crazy. Speaking of crazy; choosing anything other than Frozen to win Best Animated Feature. Who in this crazy would do that? Oh right, I did. I foolishly thought the Academy would award Hayao Miyazaki one more time for The Wind Rises, you know, before his retirement. Looks like traditional animation, like VHS and newspapers is finally dead.
 
Hand-drawn animation: 4000 BCE - 2014
Let’s see, what other less glamorous awards are there. Oh yeah Best Makeup and Hairstyling ended up going to Dallas Buyers Club instead of Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa. I’ll level with you here; I’m not happy about this defeat. I am not the biggest fan of Bad Grandpa or the Jackass crew but surly you have to give props to the makeup artists here. Hours of prosthetics, mounds of finely detailed old-people makeup was snubbed, snubbed I say! In favor of a movie whose contribution to the world of makeup and hairstyling is Jared Leto’s rouge?
 
At least this didn't win
As expected Best Foreign Film went to The Great Beauty marking the 12th time Italy has won the award. 14th if you include Shoeshine (1946) and The Bicycle Thief (1948) which won special awards before the Foreign Film category was invented. As I said in my previous article, The Great Beauty was heavily influenced by the works of Federico Fellini so anyone who didn't think this category was a lock and chose The Hunt obviously don’t know Academy voters that well.
Italy always wins
The writing awards I usually have a knack for and this year was no exception. Best Original Screenplay went to Spike Jonze and Her because it was…original. Then 12 Years a Slave finished the category off winning Best Adapted Screenplay. Accepting the award was a contrite John Ridley. Not present was original scribe Solomon Northrup who’s been dead for the last 150 years or so.

Pictured: Julia Roberts destroying the Iron Lady
Now on to the awards given the most fanfare: Best Director, Best Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor and Actress and finally Best Picture. Out of these categories I only got one wrong and its one I’m actually glad I got wrong. Best Supporting Actress did not go to Julia Roberts for August: Osage County. I thought she’d pull of an Iron Lady (2011) plus while all the performances I did see out of this category were stellar, none really stood out from the pack. That said I’m happy for Miss Nyong’o who is now the second black actress to win in the category for a first time performance.

The rest was to be expected; Jared Leto and Cate Blachett were locks for Best Supporting Actor and Best Actress respectively. I was wavering a little for Best Actor thinking Leonardo DiCaprio was going to pull a rabbit but he’ll have to wait at least another year before he finally gets his statuette. Director went to Alfonso Cuaron and deservedly so. Steve McQueen will get his due though I worry about Alexander Payne. I really hope there’s an Oscar in his future as his films are some of my favorites of all time.

Finally there was the Best Picture showdown between Gravity and 12 Years a Slave; the movie that should win for technical merit versus the film that ought to win because of its subject matter. I ultimately chose 12 Years a Slave and was glad I chose it. If you haven’t seen it I hardily recommend it and would even argue that unlike Gravity, it will last though the ages as one of the most important films of this generation.


Congratulations to all the winners this year and congratulations to all those who won their office pool. Here’s to hoping next year will be even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment